THE TORAH: WEEK 11 NUMBERS
Challenge them to finish reading the book of Numbers and to read Deuteronomy. Last week we studied the words Sacrifice & Atonement. Both words leading to having our debts forgiven and walk in newness with God.
This upcoming week we will take a look at the Book of Numbers, the fourth book in the Torah. A road-trip gone bad. Israel leaves Mt. Sinai only to rebel against God at every step. God responds with short-term severity and long-term generosity as He leads them into the promised land.
Watch the video from us.
Review the notes below.
Now that God has given His people a way by which they can live with Him, it’s time for Him to deliver them to the land He promised them. This is the story we see unfold in the book of Numbers. What should be a two-week trip to the Promised Land, though, turns into a forty-year trek thanks to the Israelites’ lack of trust in God. Yet in spite of their rebellion, God continues to deliver on His promise to provide for them.
- The people of Israel tested God’s patience, and He in turn tested their endurance and faithfulness. Though the people failed many times, God showed His own faithfulness by His constant presence leading the way: through a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.
- God reminded Israel that He does not tolerate rebellion, complaining, and disbelief without invoking consequences.
- He taught His people how to walk with Him—not just with their feet through the wilderness but with their mouths in worship, hands in service, and lives as witnesses to the surrounding nations. He was their God, they were His people, and He expected them to act like it.
Talk About It:
- Anything jump out at you?
- Do you see any resemblance between the grumbling, rebellious Israelites and yourself?
- God shows His own faithfulness in different ways. How has He shown you faithfulness?
- Where in your life are you rebelling against Christ? How can you avoid following the Israelites example?
The Bible Project: Israel’s Rebellion in the Wilderness
Charles R. Swindoll: Book of Numbers
The Bible Project: Torah Series