THE TORAH: WEEK 1 BIBLICAL LAW
Start by explaining what The Torah consist of. The first five books of the Bible.
This is the first video in this 13 week study on The Torah. In preparation for walking through the Torah (first five books of the Bible) we challenge you and your audience to start reading through these books together. The first video talks about how to read biblical law, but then we will look at each of the first five books of the Bible broken up by various topic videos like the Image of God, Sin, Holiness, etc… We are looking forward to seeing how God continues to reach people at our sites.
Watch the video from us.
Review the notes below.
Have you ever wondered why there are so many ancient biblical laws in the first books of the Bible? What are modern readers supposed to do with them, and why are some of them so odd? This video explored why the laws were given to ancient Israel and how they fit into the overall story-line of the Bible. This series should help you understand the first five books of the Bible, and the story they tell. By the end of this series, you will be familiar with who God is, who we are, and the big, redemptive story that we are all living.
- The Bible is not a behavior manual with a complete list of what to do and what not to do to make God happy.
- God does tell people what to do to help protect us and to fulfill His commands.
- God invites His people into a covenant relationship like a marriage. Just like when we accept Jesus we are making a covenant with Christ to live for Him.
- While the laws are good and show God’s wisdom, they also exposed Israels inability to be God’s faithful partner.
- Many of the laws are ancient ritual symbols that set Israel apart; such as animal sacrifices.
- Because Jesus came, He fulfilled the laws. In return we are to love God with all our heart, and to love our neighbors as our-self.
Talk About It
- Have you read the entire Bible?
- What are the four core ideas the video talked about? (Sacrifice, Justice, Holiness and Sacred Time.)
- How are the laws fulfilled? (Jesus dying on the cross for us and us loving God with all our heart and to love our neighbor as our-self.)
- How many laws are in the first five books of the bible? (613)
- According to the video (and the Bible) what was the first command from God?
- What is the Torah? (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.)
- How many of you like rules and laws?
- What type of barriers hinder you from reading the Bible? Find a time that works best for you to study.
Here is a reading plan app for you to share with your group. It also includes links to some of the videos that we will be watching in the coming weeks. In addition here is a link to a .pdf file of the same reading plan if you would like to print some copies to hand out at your sites.
The Bible Project: How to Read the Bible