ADVENT: WEEK 4 LOVE
In this series we will be looking at God’s promised Advent, or coming of his son, Jesus. This is the most important event in human history; the almighty, eternal, creator becoming human, living among us, and suffering on our behalf in order to give us life.
- What was one area of your life where you wanted to work towards having more joy?
- What did you do last week to work towards that?
- How did it go? Did God bless you?
Watch this video from us.
Review the notes below.
In Mark 12:31, Jesus said, “There is no other commandment greater than these.” He was referring to the commands to love God and love our neighbors; two sides of the same coin we refer to as The Great Commandment. But what does it mean to “love”?
In the Greek, love is the word Agape and it wasn’t really translated from the Hebrew word for love, Ahava, but was defined more by Jesus’ teachings and actions. Agape is not a feeling, as in, “I love pizza”, but a choice to take action. Even more so, it is done without any expectation of anything in return. Ultimately, true Agape love is shown to those whom are considered our enemies.
Jesus lived this Agape type love. He served those who could never repay him. He even allowed his enemies to kill him for what unknowingly would be to their benefit. In the same way, while we were still sinners (enemies of God), Christ died for us so that we could have life. Our purpose is to receive this love through Jesus and then give it back out to others.
Look In: Discussion
- What is the difference the world’s definition of love and Agape?
- What are some practical examples of Agape in our community?
- Are there populations in our community we might consider as enemies? Why? Can you share an example?
- What would it look like to show them an Agape type love?
Agape love is more than just a feeling, it’s a specific decision to take a specific action without expectation of anything in return.
- Are you truly loving anyone with Agape Love, without any expectation of anything in return?
- Who is God laying on your heart right now to love with an Agape love? Is it a specific person or group?
- What is one thing you can do this week to show them an Agape type love?
- How will you do this one thing?
Pray for one another to do it and be ready to share what God does with your obedience.