ADVENT: WEEK 3 JOY
In this series we will be looking at God’s promised Advent, or coming of his son, Jesus. This is the most important event in human history; the almighty, eternal, creator becoming human, living among us, and suffering on our behalf in order to give us life.
- What is one thing you did last week to move closer to shalom, to peace and wholeness in your life?
- How did you do it? Where and with whom?
- How did it go? Did God bless you?
Look Up: Watch the video from us.
Review the notes below.
Joy is often referred to as a feeling related to happiness. But it’s much more than just a feeling, it’s a specific decision to have a specific attitude. Biblical sources of joy would include beauty, weddings, children, a good friend, or even perfume.
But the world is a corrupted place with death and loss, so joy is more than a feeling it is an attitude God’s people adopt, not because of happy circumstances, but because of our hope in God’s love and promise. In the same vein, joy is not determined by our struggles, but by our future destiny. Joy is anticipation of a savior, “Good news that brings great joy.” Luke 2:10.
Early Christian communities where full of joy and joy in the Lord was a sign of Jesus’ presence, that He was with you. Joy is not suppressing sorrow but rejoicing. Trusting in Jesus is joy; a decision of faith and a hope in the power of His life and love.
Look In: Discussion:
- What is the difference between happiness and joy?
- Who is a particularly joyful person you know? Why do you think they are so joyful?
- We do not have joy because everything is great all the time. We have joy when we have trust in God’s love and promises. Do you agree or disagree? Why? Can you share an example?
- What would it look like to have joy when our lives are not going so well?
Joy is more than just a feeling, it’s a specific decision to have a specific attitude that is exhibited through faith and hope in Jesus.
- Would people say you are a joyful person? Why or why not?
- What specific areas in your life are you not able to find joy?
- What is one area from the previous question that you would like to work toward having joy?
- What is one thing you can do this week to move closer to joy in in that area?
- How will you do this one thing?
Check out this message from John Piper on Peace.